PBS NewsHour full episode June 5, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naef-wLpvOI

Tuesday on the NewsHour, we examine the Trump administration’s policy of separating families at the U.S.-Mexico border after fresh calls to cease the practice. Also: Super Bowl champions uninvited by the White House, a British double-agent inside al-Qaida, a look back at the life and work of Robert Kennedy and focusing on skills over degrees.

U.K: Evidence withheld in 47 rape and sexual assault cases, says CPS

Vital evidence was withheld from defence lawyers in 47 cases of rape and sexual assault, the Crown Prosecution Service has revealed.

The withholding of evidence was the main reason five of the cases had to be stopped.

Fourteen of the defendants had been held in custody on the charges.

More than 3,600 cases were looked at in England and Wales after high profile rape trials collapsed due to lack of disclosure by prosecutors and police.

Director of Public Prosecutions Alison Saunders, who is stepping down from the role in October, said: “Getting disclosure right is a fundamental part of a fair criminal justice system.

“Our analysis shows that in the vast majority of cases we are doing that – but there are cases where we are falling short, and that is unacceptable.

“I recognise the huge impact on individuals involved, and deeply regret every case where mistakes have been made.”

Four cases against men accused of rape collapsed in December and January after it emerged that vital evidence had not been passed to their defence lawyers.

The trial of Liam Allan was stopped in December at Croydon Crown Court, days before the prosecution of Isaac Itiary at Inner London Crown Court was halted.

In January, a case against Samson Makele was stopped at Snaresbrook Crown Court and Oxford student Oliver Mears, who had spent two years on bail, had a case against him dropped days before his trial was set to start.

As a result, the CPS ordered a review of all cases where people had been charged with rape or sexual assault, but not yet reached trial, from January until mid-February.

Explaining to MPs on the Justice Select Committee how the situation could have come about, Ms Saunders said in some cases prosecutors had been bringing charges “very early” before seeking further evidence.

She said this happened in situations where it was feared suspects might skip bail, commit further offences or intimidate witnesses but acknowledged there were “lessons we have learned around making sure that we are dealing with disclosure at an earlier stage”.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44366997

Army rescues 58 women used as sex slaves by Boko Haram

The Nigerian army on Monday says it rescued  58 women used as sex slaves, by Boko Haram in Modu Kimeri, in Bama local government area of Borno state. Also rescued were 75 children and 15 men. Col. Onyema Nwachukwu, Deputy Director Public Relations Theatre Command Operation Lafiya Dole, disclosed this in a statement released in Maiduguri. Nwachukwu said that the women were rescued by troops of 21 Brigade supported  and  members of the Civilian Joint Task Force deployed in Operation Lafiya Dole

“The troops rescued the hostages during an extensive Clearance Operation on Sunday 3 June,  2018, to rid the general area of Bama,  Modu Kimeri and Gulumba Gana of fleeing elements of Boko Haram terrorists who had escaped from the ongoing troops’ onslaught in the Lake Chad Islands and fringes of the northern borders of Borno State. “The rescued hostages, comprising 15 men, 58 Women and 75 Children revealed during a joint profiling and interrogations by troops of Operation Lafiya Dole and other security agencies, that the Boko Haram terrorists had sexually violated the females and used them as sex slaves,”he said. He said that two pregnant teenage girls were among the rescued persons. “The  rescued persons further disclosed that the men were not spared, as they were regularly engaged in forced labour while in the captivity of the terrorists. “They will be promptly handed over to officials of Bama Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) Camp for welfare and administration,”he said. According to him, troops have also successfully cleared adjoining villages including China, Sabon Gari-1, Sabon Gari-2, Sabon Gari-3 and Sabon Gari-4 villages. Other areas cleared by troops along the axis of operation are Nguzoduwa, Falla, Bulangala, Botori and Bula Matawa villages. “Additionally, troops recovered 22 Dane Guns, one tool box used for fabricating local firearms, four Boko Haram flags,  a motorcycle and one bow and 20 arrows.

Read more at: https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/06/army-rescues-58-women-used-sex-slaves-boko-haram/

Australia: Mom in Hiding After Sons Look to Kill Her for Leaving Islam…

A Melbourne woman who told how she felt like an “animal” and a “slave” while practising Islam says she hopes she’ll inspire other female Muslims to “free themselves” from the religion.

Nadia (last name with held) and her eldest daughter Allawea are now in hiding, after their family turned against them when the pair denounced Islam.

“It is in an honour for them to kill somebody whose turned away from Islam, and their own mother has turned away from Islam so I mean nothing to them,” the 40-year-old told A Current Affair.

Things escalated in October last year, when Nadia’s two eldest sons turned up at her former home in Melbourne’s western suburbs, brutally bashing her new husband.

“They were screaming we’re going to kill you, we need you dead,” she told ACA.

The young men fled when police arrived, with officers later allegedly finding several rifles in their possession.

Weapons charges were laid but the boys’ whereabouts are unknown.

Nadia and her teenage daughter are now living in a safe house, provided by a domestic violence charity.

The 40-year-old, originally from Bendigo, met her ex-husband when she was in her late teens. She fell head over heels and converted to Islam but “struggled to do daily prayers, daily washing” and “read the Koran”.

“I watched my children giving me their seconds off their plate … and that was okay because I was western and white, and not Muslim,” she said.

She claims she denounced the faith after growing concerned about growing anti-western sentiment in the family and discovering her ex-husband had been seeing other women – a move that ultimately led to the October incident.

“Maybe after today, there will be some women who will say ‘hey I am human, I’m not an animal’ and maybe they will get the chance to be free,” she said.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/06/05/12/04/islam-tearing-family-apart-infidel-mum-a-current-affair