Violence Against Women

Instagram + Snapchat = rape:

A University of Utah football player was arrested Thursday after police say he kidnapped and raped a 17-year-old girl.
The alleged victim told police she met Terrell Perriman, a 20-year-old wide receiver for the team, on Instagram and they connected on Snapchat. The girl told police Perriman sent her sexually graphic videos and photos and requested the same from her.
The girl then went to Perriman’s apartment on Friday, where he took her into the bedroom and refused to let her leave unless she gave Perriman oral sex, according to the statement.
“The victim stated that she started crying because she wanted to leave and she was scared,” a statement of probable cause said. The girl tried to leave the room, and Perriman allegedly stood in front of the door blocking her exit.
Perriman also allegedly took the girl’s phone away and held it out of her reach so she couldn’t call for help.
The victim said Perriman then pulled down his pants and pulled down the girl’s shorts and raped her.
Perriman faces felony charges of kidnapping, rape and enticing a minor and a misdemeanor charge of dealing in material harmful to a minor.
Salt Lake City police Detective Greg Wilking said police have “some indication” there could be more victims and urged individuals to come forward, according to the Salt Lake Tribune.
“Often in these kinds of cases, there’s not just one victim,” he added. “This is behavior that’s repeated.”
A three-star recruit out of Miami Central High School, Perriman was a 2018 redshirt who played 10 games in 2019.

Violence Against Women : Strangled Victim He Met on a Dating App

Dating apps are a great way for women to meet violent sexual predators:

An Acworth man has been sentenced to 50 years in prison for violent sexual acts he filmed against a woman he met on a dating app, the Cobb District Attorney’s office says.
Darryl Joseph Clark, 38, strangled the woman and forced her to perform oral sex inside his hotel room at Hometowne Lodge on Baker Road in Acworth on July 5, 2017, records show.
The victim had to take a year off work because she was so terrorized, experiencing nightmares and flashbacks, the DA’s office said in a news release Thursday.
Nurses testified in the case that the victim suffered bruising on her neck and chest, as well as bleeding in both eyes, in the days following the attack, and this was indicative of strangulation with significant force.
Acworth police said the victim thought she was going to die.
According to the Cobb DA’s office, the woman connected with Clark through a dating app and they first met on July 4, 2017, in public.
“When Clark asked her to come into his apartment, she declined, but agreed to see him the next day,” the DA’s office said.
On July 5, 2017, the woman went to Clark’s hotel room. She tried to leave when he made physical contact, the DA’s office said.
That’s when Clark pushed her down, strangled her and then forced her to perform oral sex, which he filmed in an effort to blackmail her so she wouldn’t tell authorities, per the DA’s office.
Clark was convicted of aggravated sodomy and aggravated assault (strangulation) by a Cobb jury earlier this month.
The DA’s office said jurors heard testimony from Clark’s ex-girlfriend, who said he also strangled her and forced her to perform oral sex numerous times while they were in a relationship.
“She testified that Clark reacted violently when he was turned down for sex, and that she had to take out a protective order against him,” the news release stated.
Clark was sentenced to 50 years in prison and lifetime probation by Cobb Superior Court Judge LaTain Kell on Tuesday. Clark will be a registered sex offender if ever released from custody, the DA’s office said.
He has remained in the Cobb jail for 930 days since his arrest on July 14, 2017, and will get credit for time served.
Assistant District Attorney Drew Healy said Clark viewed women as objects, expected them to give him sex and was willing to use threats and violence to get what he wanted.

uOttawa students protest exhibition that calls psychiatry ‘an industry of death’

A controversial anti-psychiatry exhibition sponsored by a group affiliated with the Church of Scientology has University of Ottawa students demanding that the show be removed from campus.

Among other claims, the free exhibition maintains that the pharmaceutical industry invents mental health conditions in order to sell more drugs and that the justification for the Holocaust was based on eugenics theory advanced in psychiatry and psychology.

Titled Psychiatry: An Industry of Death, it is sponsored by a group called the Citizens Commission on Human Rights. The exhibition’s five-day tenure in rented space in the Jock Turcot University Centre ends on Friday.

Students say that exhibition’s presence on campus has been jarring, considering that it was launched just after Wellness Week and ran Thursday during Bell Let’s Talk day, which urges people to have conversations about mental health.

“They are actively espousing that psychiatry is a farce,” said Jayde Lavoie, a conflict studies and human rights student. 

Tim Gulliver, a political science student, said he found the exhibition to be “extremely troubling,” especially the inclusion of an image of Adolf Hitler.

Gulliver fears the exhibition might discourage students from seeking psychiatric help if they need it. There are valid debates in almost every field of medicine. However, if students have a mental illness and they’re taking medication, they should have no reason to feel questioned, he said.

“I understand this is a very difficult situation because of free speech. But the university administration has something to answer for their space approval. If they had even done a Google search, they would have found what this was about.”